[SATLUG] Re: Linux and Multimedia

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 20:08:10 CDT 2008

K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
> As for embedded video content on web pages via
> using Linux as your primary OS.  I noticed that some sites
> will refuse to show you anything unless you have IE or an IE browser plug
> in. Is this not fair? I cannot use IE tab on linux even though I did on
> XP/Vista. Is there some work around to see Quick Time or HD WMV on Linux
> besides having the w32 codecs?

We're discussing the collision of two worlds; in simple form it's "let
us share" versus "mine, mine, mine".

For my part I made the personal choice to add an "off-shore" multimedia
repository to my sources.list file in order to install vaqrious
multimedia related goodies (among which is win32codecs) but I don't
simply leave it at that.  Without whining or flaming I write to websites
that are OS-centric, presenting a calm, clear, logical case on behalf of
paying attention to the writing which has, long since, been all over the
wall.  I try to help them see that, if they don't get it, it will
ultimately get them.

How's that for a slogan?

Linux

If your company doesn't get it...