[SATLUG] question of the measurement of processing power past and present

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Aug 12 20:43:46 CDT 2008

> I am willing to bet that if you bring a machine 10 times faster than RoadRunner (http://www.top500.org/system/9485) researchers will bring a problem big enough to keep it running for days.

this certainly seems true to me.  One example, non- F/OSS example that I
would cite would be DX10 and the game Crysis.  When It came out December
of 2007 the 8800 Ultra  was pretty much the top of the video card would
be stressed out running with full graphics.  It often took an SLI
configuration to run the game at this level and even then under the
right circumstances the graphics could bog down.  What I am trying to
get at is if this is a general trend with software in general.  Is there
a tendancy to produce software that pushes the limits of the hardware?

might make for an interesting research question.  Thanks for the comment

Todd