[SATLUG] Re: Linux and Multimedia

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:12:02 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 19:35 -0500, K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
> As for embedded video content on web pages via
> using Linux as your primary OS.  I noticed that some sites
> will refuse to show you anything unless you have IE or an IE browser plug
> in. Is this not fair? I cannot use IE tab on linux even though I did on
> XP/Vista. Is there some work around to see Quick Time or HD WMV on Linux
> besides having the w32 codecs?

I just want to share a scenario that's even worse. I went to NBC's
Olympics website and I couldn't view the content there. Instead I got a
javascript pop-up window that informed me that I could only view the
content on a Mac with Safari or Firefox, or Windows with IE or Firefox.
It doesn't make any sense that they restrict their content from Linux
users. I tried to find a way to contact NBC about it, but of course they
have no links on their website.

~Nate