[SATLUG] Cheap upgrade

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Aug 12 21:22:08 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 21:02 -0500, Todd W. Bucy wrote:

> > I got so PO'd at my old systems with RAMBUS that I threw 'em in the
> > recycle bin ages ago.
> >
> > Better use of your time to go to Fry's and pick up a mobo/proc combo for
> > cheap and but a gig of memory for $30 to go with it.
>
> dosent that miss some of the point though.  Forgive me if I am wrong but
> isn't there some value (if only recreational) in keeping your old
> hardware up and running as long as possible?  This may not be true in
> Geoff's case but it certainly is with me, and its one of the reasons why
> I love Linux, it extends the life of two of my p4 boards which are
> incapable of running M$ vista satisfactorly.

I see your point, but there are several things to consider.  First,
newer machines are typically a lot more power efficient than older ones.
Obviously that is not always true, but it is often the case especially
with newer power management capabilities.

Newer systems also allow you to get your work done faster.  For me that
is a HUGE deal.  I do a boatload of work which involves prototyping
projects on Xen, KVM and even VMWare virtualization.  To me, the extra
oomph that a new system offers is well worth a little extra money.

New systems can also scale better than old ones.  Today I can get a new
motherboard, CPU and memory which will give me 4 cores and up to 8GB
memory for a ridiculously low price - like $500-$600.  That means that I
can have a ton of virtual machines running at the same time without
taking a hit on performance and not having to run everything on multiple
systems.  Again, to me that's worth the extra cash.

Having said all of that, I have a 40-year old Mustang that I've spent
over three years and $40,000 dollars turning into a sweet resto-mod (ask
the bride about THAT some time).  By my arguments, I should be driving a
Prius.

I guess I'm saying I understand where you're coming from.  If you are a
hobbyist, tinkering and keeping old systems up is fun.  For me, I guess
I've gotten to the point where these things are productivity tools first
and foremost.  I want fast and mindless.  I don't want to tinker any
more.

Thomas