[SATLUG] question of the measurement of processing power past and present

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Aug 12 23:52:05 CDT 2008

Thanks everyone for the comments but I think that something got lost in
the articulation of my question. completely my own fault.  The purposes
of this paper is to develop a few testable hypotheses on the topic of
F/OSS gift economy and how it has developed over the last 50 or so
years, for my master's thesis.  My basic asumption is this: F/OSS gift
economy has developed largely because of a unique socio-economic and
technological environment. I of course have to describe this environment
and how it has developed over time. I am assuming that the technological
part of this environment was/is integral to the growth and development
of the F/OSS community, therefore I need some way to accurately describe
the increase of computing power over this time period.  It needs to be
relatively simple as the audience I am writting for are anthropologist
and not hackers.  I guess one way of looking at the question is to
assume that hypothetical program A ran in x # of days on an IBM 650 and
ran on x # of seconds on the IBM Runner.  It would be nice if I could
show the performance increase with every generation of computer over the
last 50 years but for now it is only necessary to show the difference
between 1954 and 2004.  I know that I can't be the first to have thought
of doing something like this so a reference of some sort should do just
fine.

as for the comments upon gift-economy I am most interested in hearing
opinions (educated or otherwise) on this topic.

Thanks
Todd