[SATLUG] F/OSS motivations

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Tue Aug 12 23:53:34 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 02:26:09 pm Bruce Dubbs wrote:
[...]
> In my mind, the economy of F/OSS is closer to a trading economy.  The
> difference is that the cost of reproduction is negligible, while the cost
> of development is not.  The fact that there are people who take advantage
> of the negligible reproduction costs without giving anything is not really
> significant to the contributors.

Good points Bruce.  I would only add that the FOSS model is probably most
closely modeled by the peer review process in a patent free society (or at
least a non-patent-happy one).  This is why patents are the enemy of FOSS..
the restrict and punish innovation.. while close source models thrive on it
(like leaches).  With closed source.. the "widget" you sell is the software.
With the FOSSmodel, the "widget" is purely a service... the software is
simply a free tool to deliver said services (a tool with well defined rights
of it's own.. but a tool none the less).

Yeah.. the "gift" idea doesn't jive with me either.  I mean how valuable is a
gift that you can copy and give out a billion billion times?

Tweeks