[SATLUG] F/OSS motivations

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Aug 13 00:50:46 CDT 2008

Tweeks and Bruce I want to personally thank.  your comments have led me
to two new hypotheses. thank you very much! here they are let me know
what you think.

Hypothesis 1:if within a gift economy the medium of exchange becomes a
commodity it will eventually destroy the gift-economy and the community
which developed aroud the creation and distribution of the particular
medium of exchange or gift.

Hypothesis 2:gifts (or mediums of echange) within a gift-economy always
has a purposeful, pragmatic, and singular effect upon society, one that
is immediately useful in and of it self. In the case of the Iroquois and
wampum the purpose was to create lines of communication. Within F/OSS
(or at least the OSS portion of the acronym but thats a different
paper!) the purpose of software is to facilitate the selling of a
service within a larger economic context. Commodity and market economies
on the other hand are such that the purpose of the medium of exchange
(money) is difusse, in that money is often the goal of the exchange and
it is money which allows one to do many other things, to include the
creation and support the medium of exchange of a gift economy.

thanks
Todd