[SATLUG] Re: Linux Error: 29: Illegal seek (Charles Hogan)

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 07:05:56 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 04:54 -0700, Enrique Sanchez Vela wrote:
[...]
> right, there is no change in hostname but the IP address of the box obviously changed and Oracle is all confused on the port it wants to open, check /etc/hosts to see if the hostname's IP address is listed there and if it is current or if the old one is still present, if so remove it.
>
> if the hostname was used in the config file, then check if DNS resolves the hostname to the current address.
>
> best regards,
> esv.
>
> http://boliviabook.com/

Oracle *does* store the IP address in a file called tnsnames.ora that
points to instances, not FQDNs.  I'd start by doing a

# find / -name tnsnames.ora -ls

and once you find it, su - oracle and edit it to give the new IP
address(es) of your instance(s).  Then, again logged in as oracle,

$ tnsping [instance name]

The output will repeat the instance name and give you the IP address
that's listed in the tnsnames.ora file.

Al Castanoli