[SATLUG] Cheap upgrade

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 07:15:50 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 21:47 -0500, Geoff wrote:
> Thomas Cameron wrote:
> > I guess I'm saying I understand where you're coming from.  If you are a
> > hobbyist, tinkering and keeping old systems up is fun.  For me, I guess
> > I've gotten to the point where these things are productivity tools first
> > and foremost.  I want fast and mindless.  I don't want to tinker any
> > more.
>
> I -could- put the dual PIII 550 machine back in place ;-)
>
> I was using it today for a test machine, checking harddrives.
>
> -Geoff

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2500 with a pair of pIII CPUs on my desk at work
and use it as my main Linux workstation.  It's running Scientific Linux
(similar to CentOS) and picked up on all the twisted Dell hardware RAID
and SCSI controllers that Solaris 10_x86 couldn't find.  Other distros
would probably work just as well, but Scientific Linux took three years
to get onto the approved software list, and I'm not willing to fight
that process again to find out.

Al Castanoli