[SATLUG] Ruling Is a Victory for Supporters of Free Software

Sean Crandall sean.crandall at ieee.org
Thu Aug 14 11:01:16 CDT 2008

Borries Demeler wrote:
> This came out in this morning's NYTimes, I hope it won't be appealed:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/technology/14commons.html?th&emc=th
>
> -b.
I don't post a lot (mostly just lurk), but this is up my alley, so I'll
chime in.  For those who don't want to read the article, this was an
appellate decision from the Federal Circuit (the court that normally
hears patent case) that upheld the Artistic License.  The tricky thing
is, the Fed. Cir. is not a regional circuit, so it was trying to apply
9th Circuit law (Fed. Cir. only has precedential authority over
patents).  So this isn't controlling law anywhere (not even in the 9th
Circuit), but it's very good persuasive authority everywhere.  The 5th
Circuit would most likely do the same if any case went up to them.  They
tend to be strong on freedom to contract.

Interestingly, I just finished writing a layman's guide to the GPL
because I've had several clients who want to use GPL software, but are a
little scared by its reputation (if anybody would like to see it, e-mail
me off list; I'd welcome your feedback).  One of the issues I addressed
is that there are still no U.S. rulings construing the GPL (the best we
have is a district court saying it doesn't see any reason it wouldn't be
enforceable).  It's good to see another open source license getting a
thumbs up from a federal appellate court.

--
Sean Crandall---Registered Patent Attorney No. 57,776.  This e-mail does
not constitute legal advice on any matter and is not endorsed by Jackson