[SATLUG] Firewall Question

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Aug 14 12:27:39 CDT 2008

On 8/14/08, Walt DuBose wrote:

>  What I don't know is should he load Ubuntu desktop or server distro (or
>  would another distro be better) and then what would be a good firewall...
>  one that works well and is simple to administer.

If you're running a modern version of Linux, then your firewall will
be iptables.  Period.

Now, there are a whole bunch of tools you can use to try to help make
it easier to manage the firewall rules, but that's a completely
different problem.

Personally, I'd recommend finding a security-enhanced distribution
based on whatever general distribution you prefer, which provides
good firewall management tools out-of-the-box.

But this isn't like buying a box marked "firewall" from a company
like Cisco, and then just plugging it in.  There's multiple
components you will want to consider to help make your job easier --
the actual "firewall" software itself is only one small part of the
overall puzzle, and it's the only piece you can't change or move.