[SATLUG] Toshiba Laptop with Atheros WIFI Card

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Thu Aug 14 14:27:27 CDT 2008

Quoting Mario Compean <mariocompeanc at yahoo.com>:

> Last month I bought a Toshiba Laptop Model P305D-S8828 on-sale
> ($699) at a local Circuit City that has an Atheros WIFI Card.  In
> addition to the price  the Atheros WIFI Card  was a big factor in my
>  decision to buy it since I had read at several forums  that
> atheros-based cards worked in Linux.  So far I have only loaded SUSE
>  11.0 and Mandriva 2008 live cd distros on it.  PCLOS 2007 live cd
> would not load. Mandriva recognized  and configured it with a few
> clicks of the mouse without any problems, but not so for the wired
> network card. SUSE wanted me to configure  it using NDIS wrapper,
> which I did not attempt. Hope this is useful.

I have an atheros MiniPCI (at least I think it's minipci, it's about
the size of a stick of laptop RAM) wifi card that I got out of a
laptop that was going to be thrown away. I've stuck it in a different
laptop and it works. I had to use the madwifi package, because the
in-kernel one only supports a small subset of atheros chips. I'm
feeling pretty confident that madwifi will work with the atheros,
iirc, atheros is pretty linux friendly.

--
David Kowis
Source Mage Linux - www.sourcemage.org