[SATLUG] Firewall Question

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Fri Aug 15 02:01:19 CDT 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008 12:15:16 pm Walt DuBose wrote:
> David, the IT person at our church wants to replace our church's current
> network firewall with a Linux box running a firewall application.  His
> original thought was to run one using Coyote Linux as the distro.  Since
> this would be a dedicated computer, I suggested that he might consider
>
> What I don't know is should he load Ubuntu desktop or server distro (or
> would another distro be better) and then what would be a good
> firewall...one that works well and is simple to administer.

If it's near-zero maintenance you want.. and lots of flexability.. then I
recommend Devil Linux -- a live firewall CD distro that stores it's config
files on USB flash drive (no hard drive).  This is nice because it:
-Is naturally "high availability (no hard drive)
-near-hack proof (CD is read-only, flash media can also the RO)
-to upgrade versions, eject CD, insert new CD, reboot (configs loaded off
thumb drive)
-besides firewall/DMZ pre-config script, it also comes with tons of other
useful gateway apps (sendmail, apache, squid, etc)

Plus.. I have a couple of useful presentations on it here:
http://xcssa.org/files/XCSSA-SOHO-Firewall-DMZ-Web/img0.html

Good luck..

Tweeks