[SATLUG] Networking: Hardy and Novatel 727 USB card

Cheryl Holmes cherylholmes72 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 11:35:32 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

In the past you've been a great help to me...I hope you can be again.

I have Hardy on Mom's PC (i386) ..the only way to get high speed access for
her was to get a dataconnect card and connect this way, since no other means
is available where she lives.

Has anyone had success getting a Novatel 727 USB card (Verizon) to work in
Hardy and if so, would you please tell me how to do it?  The hardware is
supposedly Linux compatible...does the modem also have to be intialized by a
Win PC?

The newest version of Ubuntu is due out in Oct. called Intrepid Ibex.  It
will support this modem out of the box I'm told by Ubuntu.  But there is no
backporting for Hardy.

This is what I was told by Ubuntu LaunchPad

Your question #42377 on Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/42377

Marlon Cisternas Milla posted a new comment:
Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. However, I am closing it because the bug has been fixed
in the latest development version of Ubuntu - the Intrepid Ibex. It
won't be fixed in previous versions of Ubuntu because the package
doesn't fit the requirements for backporting. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports for more information.

marcobra requested for more information:
Intrepid Ibex is the development release that will be released in
October 2008.

Thank you very much for your help...cheryl