[SATLUG] Networking: Hardy and Novatel 727 USB card

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Aug 17 17:27:15 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:35, Cheryl Holmes <cherylholmes72 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Has anyone had success getting a Novatel 727 USB card (Verizon) to work in
> Hardy and if so, would you please tell me how to do it?  The hardware is
> supposedly Linux compatible...does the modem also have to be intialized by
> Win PC?

Yes, to both.  You MUST `eject` the virtual CDROM before the ttyUSB for the
modem is found (not sure why, but if you don't do the eject, udev won't find
the modem device).

And yes, it must be "activated" via windows, but once it is activated, it
works fine.

> The newest version of Ubuntu is due out in Oct. called Intrepid Ibex.  It
> will support this modem out of the box I'm told by Ubuntu.  But there is no
> backporting for Hardy.

I would be interested in what it took to "support" this hardware, since it
works in all of the distros that I have tried recently.  I assume that there
is a workaround (probably udev script) that does an auto eject of the
modem's virtual CDROM first.  Incidentally, you have to fo the same thing
with the MicroSD, if you have the reader populated.