[SATLUG] Re-Mount/Move/Link /home to a NTFS/vfat partition?

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 18:03:42 CDT 2008

>From your explanation it feels like you're making this more complicated than
it really is.  It looks like /dev/sda2 is your Windows/NTFS partition,
right?  You can mount this anywhere, not necessarily inside of your home
directory:

mount -t ntfs -o uid=XXXX,umask=0644 /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows

(make sure you create the mount point and set the uid to match your user)

Then just symlink the Documents directory from your NTFS partition into your
home directory:

ln -s /mnt/windows/Documents\ and\ Settings/user/My\ Documents/
/home/kc/Documents

The mount can be added to your fstab and the symlinking could be done as
part of rc.local or in your users login script.

Or you could do it the lazy way:

1. When you boot Linux, rsync your documents from your Windows partition to
your Linux documents directory
2. When you shutdown Linux, rsync your documents from Linux to your Windows
partition

You would have to do some sanity checking, such as not overwriting files
that are newer than the source file, which would happen if you edited a file
in Linux then did not shutdown properly and missed the sync to Windows.
Make sure Windows and Linux agree on the time in this case.

-Henry

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:19 PM, KC <kcoriginal at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can it be done? I've sepnt a few odd hours last coupla days trying to get
> it. Using ubuntu 8.04.1
>
> I dual-boot XP and ubuntu. In XP I have used two partitions for YEARS. One
> for OS and one for redirecting My Documents to. Tried putting folder called
> "home" in the root of that partition. Folder called "kc" in that. Put all
> /home/kc/.system.files and all in the "kc" folder... and then put my Windows
> My Documents folder in with them as well in a folder I usually call docs.
> Told XP where to find "docs" in its new location, said "Hi" to all the
> .-files... they looked cozy enough in there...
>
> I want to be able to be one or two clicks away from the same documents in
> either OS. But ALSO, as I use ubuntu/.Linux more and more... (prolly at 75%
> ubuntu for now but I won't ever stop dual-booting due to
> employment-reasons/flexibility... either way,) I wanna keep-keeping my My
> Documents on a separate partition but still keep my .configuration files
> from Linux in a safe spot, too. I was hoping to keep them both in the same
> safe spot.
>
> As it stands thus far, my attempts at
>
> sudo mount /dev/sda2 /home
>
> and
>
> sudo mount /dev/sda2 /docs
> ln -s /docs /home
>
> neither of them works.
> Gnome tells me it cant find the /home/kc dir when it boots.
> I can CTRL-ALT-Fx to get to the command-line and manually delete the
> /home-empty link or remount the /docs partition and I can get it to work...
> but not be persistent past a reboot.
>
> Tried putting the mount in fstab, but I found some gibberish guid
> references in there telling me even fstab has gone "complicated" now...
> sheesh!
>
> Tried some permissions-tweaking, too... but I burned out for the time-being
> and thought I would ask the Collective...  ;-)
>

> thx in advance for your help and ideas...
>
> kc

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay