[SATLUG] Re-Mount/Move/Link /home to a NTFS/vfat partition?

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Aug 17 23:40:23 CDT 2008

On Sunday 17 August 2008 06:05:32 pm Henry Pugsley wrote:
> BTW I don't think it is a good idea to store your entire home directory on
> a non-native Linux partition.  Permissions can get mangled if you change
> anything while in Windows, which could wreak havoc with your Linux
> configuration files.

I would agree with this... Bad idea.  Totally kills things like quotas..
cripples files like .ssh/*

A better idea.. go ahead and have your standard mount point like /mnt/fat-data

and then in your home dir just symlink to the location:
	ln -s /mnt/fat-data  ~/fat-data

OR.. You could even set up all of your users their own dir withing fat-data
dir.. and then for each user, link them to:
	ln -s /mnt/fata-data/$USER ~/My-Fat-Files

done. :)

Tweeks