[SATLUG] VICTORY Over WIRELESS (Ubuntu 8.04)
wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 18 14:46:30 CDT 2008
After struggling all summer, I have wireless working, and the GOLD medal
goes to Jim, tsuehpsyed. On 2008/07/31, he suggested that I try a
32-bit version of Umbutu. I wasn't aware that I had that choice, with
my 64-bit system, but I learned that I did and finally downloaded the
32-bit version of Ubuntu 8.04.1. Here is what worked:
1. I made a clean, new installation of 8.04.
2. I used Synaptic Package Manager to install the three components of
the GUI ndiswrapper,
3. "ndiswrapper -l" showed that the driver was installed and the
hardware was present.
4. "modprobe ndiswrapper" loaded the module.
5. Then I tried "sudo lspci -nn," "sudo iwconfig," and "sudo ifconfig"
to check. They all indicated success.
6. I tried to connect and was reminded to supply the network password.
7. Tried Firefox. Success! For the record, this was with an Encore
ENLWI-G2 PCI card, Realtek RTL-8185 chip set (rev 20).
Actually, once I got it right, it was easy.
Thank you to everyone who helped me.
"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."
More information about the SATLUG