[SATLUG] RE: Becoming a Linux Engineer

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Tue Aug 19 14:20:10 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM, KC Koellein <kcoriginal at yahoo.com> wrote:
> 2 quick cents...
>
> CentOS IS RHEL. Only the labels have been changed to protect the ... ... .. You get the point!
>
> They almost have matching md5s... They are so the exact same. If you wanna practice for RHCE, CentOS is the absolute, positive, (2nd-)best way to go.. Next to using RHEL, itself, of course!
>
> Good luck on the cert, by the way!

He is right, I have 60+ RHEL 4 machines and about 10 RHEL 5 machines
and i have a few instances of CentOS here at home to poop around on.
You cannot tell the difference at first glance (and there are only a
few tell tale signs anyway).  Also don't get to hung up on Fedora 9
quite yet if you are attempting a career as a UNIX/Linux Admin.
Fedora 9 is nice (and it is always nice to learn all the new stuff
available in it, I use gentoo to try out new stuff all the time) but
it is a little "cutting edge" for most businesses.  It will be a
little while (RHEL 6 maybe) before the changes from 9 will get
implemented into the RHEL release.  So the best way to study is with
what is currently being taught in the RHCE classes (which is RHEL 5)

Sean