[SATLUG] RE: Becoming a Linux Engineer

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 16:08:03 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 14:20 -0500, Sean I wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM, KC Koellein <kcoriginal at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > 2 quick cents...
> >
> > CentOS IS RHEL. Only the labels have been changed to protect the ... ... .. You get the point!
> >
> > They almost have matching md5s... They are so the exact same. If you wanna practice for RHCE, CentOS is the absolute, positive, (2nd-)best way to go.. Next to using RHEL, itself, of course!
> >
> > Good luck on the cert, by the way!
> >

> He is right, I have 60+ RHEL 4 machines and about 10 RHEL 5 machines
> and i have a few instances of CentOS here at home to poop around on.
> You cannot tell the difference at first glance (and there are only a
> few tell tale signs anyway).  Also don't get to hung up on Fedora 9
> quite yet if you are attempting a career as a UNIX/Linux Admin.
> Fedora 9 is nice (and it is always nice to learn all the new stuff
> available in it, I use gentoo to try out new stuff all the time) but
> it is a little "cutting edge" for most businesses.  It will be a
> little while (RHEL 6 maybe) before the changes from 9 will get
> implemented into the RHEL release.  So the best way to study is with
> what is currently being taught in the RHCE classes (which is RHEL 5)
>
> Sean

I'll have to agree on Sean's take on CentOS being closer to RHEL than
Fedora.  There's a SUSE commecial desktop distro that's nowhere near as
cutting edge as the current openSUSE, but with all the nonsense over
Microsoft compatiblity and SCO in the past years, not as many admins are
pushing SUSE on the enterprise as they are Red Hat.  That said, I prefer
openSUSE myself most of the time.

Getting back to RHCE study - another route is Scientific Linux
http://www.scientificlinux.org that is another RHEL clone, but is
unofficially endorsed by Red Hat for use at the Fermi National
Accelerator Laboratory (FermiLAB) and at CERN (birthplace of the web).
I grab my install media from ftp://mirror.anl.gov and have had it
blessed for use at a military medical information technology center.

I have some large RHEL servers installed at a major hospital in
California, and the code we compile on the Scientific Linux servers here
in Texas runs great on the RHEL servers.  We'd probably get as good
support from CentOS, but the Scientific Linux maintainers contributed a
lot to the the SELinux kernel, and I trust their code more because of
that.  Some of the Cisco network engineers I work with run CentOS,
though, and are well pleased with it.