[SATLUG] .Networking:Hardy and Novatel 727 USB

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sat Aug 23 17:01:09 CDT 2008

I understand your frustration, but I can reassure you that it in fact does
work in linux, as I have one and use it all the time, but does have to be
activated in windows.  There are 2 ways to get around this problem, and
given your situation, I recommend the first:

1.  Take it to a Sprint/Verizon service center and have them activate it.
Just say that you have tried everything and need their help.
2.  Ask a friend with windows to help.  You just need the CD and the USB
card.
3.  Install windows, activate, and then decide what OS to use.

I can also attest to the CradlePoint CTR350 router for use with the U727.
It rocks.  It is a pocket sized (think pack of cards) router with USB port
for CDMA/GPRS modem.   For $130 having the ability to provide a WiFi hot
spot on demand is both a bargain and fantastic.

Depending on your location, I may be able to help in person, let me know.

HTH,
jp