[SATLUG] win xp pro 9 in 1

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sat Aug 23 17:13:38 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 23:58, Cheryl Holmes <cherylholmes72 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Does anyone have a copy of this they can send to me via file transfer?

You are technically asking for someone to break the law.  There are other
ways to accomplish this (see my email on other thread).  Unlike OSS, windows
is not legally distributable by anyone but legal resellers, and even then
not via ESD (electronic software distribution).

I really need to get Mom's pc going asap and can't do it in Hardy since that
> Novatel USB modem has to be initialized by a Windows PC which neither of us
> have or have access too.

You may not, but the reseller that you bought the modem from does.  Just go
there and ask for assistance.

Since I'm legally blind and can't drive anymore, she has to always come and
> get me, and bring me back and forth to work on her PC.  If I had a copy of
> this I could just install it, initialize it, then maybe attempt to get it
> work in Hardy...if not, then she would at least have a working PC with high
> speed access..she doesn't have either right now and I'm in the dog house
> because I can't do anything about it...

I am sorry to hear that, but there are legal ways around your problem, and I
have no problem helping to figure one out.

I also need to know how to increase my disk space (allotted) on my desktop
> to accept a file transfer this size.  I don't have enough allocated for the
> desktop.

Gpartd live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php), assuming that
you have a working CD burner that you know how to use.

> I'm such a newbie to Linux...and I just can't seem to learn it on my
> own...Maybe Linux is just too far over my head...it does seem one has to be
> an engineer to use it.  I'm not one, and apparently not smart enough to
> figure any of it out on my own.  I suppose that's why MS is so
> popular..anyone can use it.

You happened to run into one of Linux's shortfalls (hardware support).  If
you were to just have needed a standard desktop, and the hardware is modest,
you probably would not have a problem.  I understand your frustration, and
am sorry that your experiance has not been fantastic, but such is the way of
computers (even with Windows).

> Thank you very much!  Mom's pc has been down a week since I can't do
> anything with this modem or Hardy on her PC...cheryl

HTH,
jp