[SATLUG] Re: Linux and Hardware

K. Reginald Buckner buckmiester35 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 21:25:34 CDT 2008

> You happened to run into one of Linux's shortfalls (hardware support).  If
> you were to just have needed a standard desktop, and the hardware is modest,
> you probably would not have a problem.  I understand your frustration, and
> am sorry that your experiance has not been fantastic, but such is the way of
> computers (even with Windows).

That is true and not true both. Linux works with older hardware very well in
a lot of cases. For home users though you don't get tech support until you
get a linux distro that has maintenance contracts. Hardware probelms happen
in Windows quite a lot. Vista didnt have a lot of device drivers supporting
it until almost the beginning of this year which was almost a year after the
ship date. There are still lots of driver issues with older drivers (2k/XP
of 9x) that cannot work on new equipment and new drivers that cannot be used
on older hardware even in Windows. So that is not just Linux shortcoming
alone it is a part of PC world period.
Now what users need is information on FOSS and hardware not more MS windows.

Plus dual booting or virtualization can help as well in situations when a
specific OS is needed. Although virtualization works best in newer AMD and
Intel microprocessor with virtualization capability.

FYI Check out the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) or
the Vendor to see which products have been tested to work for your distro
before you buy. Just a general suggestion for any OS.

RBTL  There is a reason why Windows is so used as a default. No longer do we
have to accept it though. Buy unlocked cell phones or use network equipment
with embedded linux. More power to FOSS!!

I like to twiddle and hack so I usually find a way to make it work. Besides
they said Iphone had to be activated on ATT but that was worked around too
on Apple side. Linux have those types who do find hack solution.