[SATLUG] .Networking:Hardy and Novatel 727 USB

Wayne Walker wwalker at bybent.com
Sat Aug 23 21:50:27 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:14:35PM -0500, Cheryl Holmes wrote:
> Just thought I'd let you know  there is absolutely no way for this modem to
> work under anything except for a Win O/S.  Have tried everything, nothing
> works.  It also has to be initialized in a Win O/S.  Intrepid does support
> it, but isn't out for a couple more months yet.

Once it is initiailized (once) with windoze, you can use it just fine.

> So, I have to reinstall Win 98se on Mom's pc and she will have to use this
> O/S until there is support for this modem available on Linux....it's the
> only win O/S I have.

I use it every time I go out of town.

> Don't get this modem from Verizon or Sprint unless you just love using
> Windows..and like dealing with all the viruses youll get like I have to deal
> with again on mom's pc....cheryl

It is a little tricky, it acts weird, but you can use it entirely under
linux, BUT, you can't use USB mass storage at the same time.

--

Wayne Walker

wwalker at bybent.com                    Do you use Linux?!
http://www.bybent.com                 Get Counted!  http://counter.li.org/