[SATLUG] symlinks and JAVA

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 14:33:26 CDT 2008

Michael wrote:
> Kubuntu 8.04
> Firefox 2.0.0.16
> -------------------------
>
> I started visiting an online gaming website that I hadn't been on in
> months (years?).  Anyway, it requires java which is installed on my
> system.  The website will work in Konqueror.  Konqueror has a place in
> its settings that specifically ask you where java is on your system.
> However, on Firefox, the site doesn't work.  If I remember correctly,
> you have to go in and make some type of symbolic link.  I tried googling
> for symbolic links and found a website on how to create one.  My problem
> is, I don't know what file to symlink to what.  Can anyone help me out?

To see what plugins are installed, put about:plugins into the navigation bar.

The plugins are installed in /usr/lib/firefox-<version>/plugins/.  For Java, you
need a symbolic link:

libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/opt/jdk/jdk-precompiled-1.5.0_06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Of course, you need to have the Java Development Kit installed.  I do most
things from source.  I use the instructions in

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/cvs/general/jdk.html

You don't need to compile it; just do the part with the title:

  Installation of JDK

   -- Bruce