[SATLUG] symlinks and JAVA

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sun Aug 24 15:05:13 CDT 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:33:26 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> To see what plugins are installed, put about:plugins into the
> navigation bar.
>
> The plugins are installed in /usr/lib/firefox-<version>/plugins/.
> For Java, you need a symbolic link:
>
> libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
> /opt/jdk/jdk-precompiled-1.5.0_06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

All of that is going to vary from system to system. For example, my
system has /usr/lib/firefox-<version>/
and /usr/lib64/firefox-<version>/, but a lot of systems avoid the
version mess and use /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. Also, keep in
mind /etc/alternatives/.

> Of course, you need to have the Java Development Kit installed.  I do
> most things from source.  I use the instructions in
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/cvs/general/jdk.html
>
> You don't need to compile it; just do the part with the title:
>
>   Installation of JDK

No, you don't need the full JDK, just the Sun Java Runtime Environment
and plugin packages. The JDK has a ton of unnecessary development
specific content that will make for a longer download and more cruft on
your system.

In Kubuntu, you should be able to install it from the standard apt
repositories from the package "sun-java6-plugin". You then need to
update your system's configuration to use that JRE by running the
following command with root privileges:

update-alternatives --config xulrunner-1.9-javaplugin.so

See the following for further instructions if that doesn't work.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5207185&postcount=5

Once that's done, go to about:plugins in Firefox and check the path
provided.

--
Daniel