[SATLUG] Local Library's Linux server needs help

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 07:38:15 CDT 2008

Chris wrote:
> Ernest De Leon wrote:
>
>> Would they be ok using gmail/google apps?  Is the web part a web server, or
>> just access to the internet?  Is their network wired/wireless? Would a
>> WRT54G suffice for dns/dhcp/firewall/router?  I'm just trying to gauge the
>> need on their end to pair something usable with it.  If they have light
>> usage, it may be easier to transition them to free web based services
>> (google has a nice non-profit setup) and maybe a WRT54G (or something a
>> little more powerful if they need it.)  If their needs are heavier, then
>> perhaps a dedicated box with the services you mentioned might be better.  I
>> could probably donate an older dell P4 slim case desktop with maxed out ram
>> and a decent HDD if need be.  I also have a spare WRT54G lying around that
>> could go to the cause if needed.
>>

>> That's very generous but I think they have or are willing to buy new
>> hardware. They lack the knowledge of whats needed  to replace/update their aging
>> server setup. I thought about a wrt54g, but will it support 20 clients?
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37444

And that's at factory spec for a private class "c" network
(192.168.1.X). However, the WRT54GS is completely configurable for any
IP address group. The LOCC computer shows WRT54G? gets at least 50
concurrent accesses during a show.  I've had my own '54GS up to 20
concurrent (both b and g).

Cheers;
Ed