[SATLUG] Local Library's Linux server needs help

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Tue Aug 26 10:19:59 CDT 2008

On 8/25/08, Chris <crynosys at grandecom.net> wrote:
> Ernest De Leon wrote:
> > Would they be ok using gmail/google apps?  Is the web part a web server, or
> > just access to the internet?  Is their network wired/wireless? Would a
> > WRT54G suffice for dns/dhcp/firewall/router?  I'm just trying to gauge the
> > need on their end to pair something usable with it.  If they have light
> > usage, it may be easier to transition them to free web based services
> > (google has a nice non-profit setup) and maybe a WRT54G (or something a
> > little more powerful if they need it.)  If their needs are heavier, then
> > perhaps a dedicated box with the services you mentioned might be better.  I
> > could probably donate an older dell P4 slim case desktop with maxed out ram
> > and a decent HDD if need be.  I also have a spare WRT54G lying around that
> > could go to the cause if needed.
> >

> That's very generous but I think they have or are willing to buy new
> hardware.
> They lack the knowledge of whats needed  to replace/update their aging
> server setup.
> I thought about a wrt54g, but will it support 20 clients?
> I was under the impression that 10 was the usable limit.
> Their current web page is pretty flat, no flash or PHP.

Just use monowall or pfsense for your firewall, they work well on old
and small hardware, I use monowall at home on a soekris 4801 and it is
great.  Are you going to have wireless access or is this just a
completely hard wired system.  if this is hard wired only i would just
get a switch or 2 for the clients.

For the server i would just get a "modest" machine and use CentOS 5
with XEN.  paravirtuilize the guests for the services and then you can
do a pause take a snapshot of the lvm, unpause and dd backup the
snapshot to an external disk for restoring, it is a business after all
I would consider what kind of backup/redundancy I could give
them/script them for what they can afford.  It would be rather cheap
after with only the server investment and an external disk for restore
the only "pain" would be setting it up and it is pretty easy.

Just my 2 cents

Sean