[SATLUG] problem with synaptic and add/rmove not working, please help

Cheryl Holmes cherylholmes72 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:12:52 CDT 2008

Installing Hardy on Mom's machine and getting it all updated...was about to
try to instal KPPP and try a manual configure for the Novatel 727 USB modem
(wifi) when Synaptic Manager stopped working as well as add/remove stopped
working.

Below is the error messages I recd and what I tried to do UNSUCCESSFULLY to
fix it.  Can anyone help me get it going again or do I need to reinstall
Hardy and start all over again? It's a x386 machine..Thanks! cheryl

here's what I got in "terminal"

marion at marion-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
[sudo] password for marion:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.
marion at marion-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.
marion at marion-desktop:~$

here's what I tried but didn't work in terminal
#> sudo dpkg --configure -a

here's what ADD/REMOVEerror message says...

 I tried to install kppp in add/remove and got the error message it cound't
instal and said this...
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

What does PLEASE REPORT mean?  Report to whom?

Thank you very much! cheryl

-
unselfish, undying love, devotion and companionship of blessed little angels
we call our pets....(in memory and deepest love, Hillary, June 2008; Misty
Nov. 2007; Maxi, July 2004; Sheba, May 2000).