[SATLUG] Norvatel USBmodem

Cheryl Holmes cherylholmes72 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 05:47:24 CDT 2008

First I want to thank K for the links which I will check out...

And next I want to thank John for his advice and patience...I may take you
up on your kind offer of in person help, depending on our locations.  I am
going to take your advice and bring this modem to Verizon to ask them to
initialize it for me first.
Then bring it back and see what I can do with it in Hardy.

Although I do have a copy of XP Pro Corp...I didn't want to install it to
initialize the modem and use until Intrepid is released Oct 30th.  I just
didn't want to go back to Windows despite having been an advanced user.
And, I would never consider "Virusta."

So far I have configured Gnome PPP for this modem and it did detect it on
USB0.  That's a good start!  Now, I just need to take it in, ask them to
initialize it before I can see if it's going to work or if I need to do
somemore to make it work.

I've been using Hardy since it's release and Gutsy before that...I do love
Linux but I just am not smart enough to work with it.  The learning curve is
infintissamol (sp?) for me in Linux...despite my so many years of computer
experience.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions...I think I'll know more once I
have the modem initialized for me.

cheryl

John, I live NE...in Cibolo.
-