[SATLUG] culture question

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 28 11:41:41 CDT 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:30:12 -0500, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
wrote:

>There are whole books written about programming style and I've never seen one
>advocate that comments aren't important.  They are an important tool, just like
>whitespace, naming conventions, and factoring.   -- Bruce

Well, it could be argued that Gideon Samid said something similar in his
1978 IEEE Computer Society [1]article. His executive summary was "Don't
debug, recode!" Those of us whose first high-level [2]language was APL might
cheerfully agree.  --Don

[1] http://www.priorartdatabase.com/IPCOM/000131349/
[2] The definition of HLL changes with the argument. In other circumstances
I'll advocate a good macro assembler is a high-level language, and FORTH,
LISP, etc. are practically machine code.