[SATLUG] Re: culture question (Bruce Dubbs)

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Aug 28 12:55:23 CDT 2008

> > > Code is organic
> >
> > What does this mean?
>

> Code changes a lot.  Especially when you refactor your code based off new
> features/defects/requirements.  Common sense.

I was as puzzled by this as Bruce was. I think the word Jason is
looking for is "dynamic".

> Your lazy comment is also a stab.  When a board member responds like this,
> it's shows what the higher membership of the group contains.

Let's try to keep the perspective here. I am sure Bruce spoke as an
individual, not as a representative of the SATLUG board ON BEHALF OF SATLUG.

> > Having the attitude if *I* can read it, then anyone can is rather egotistic
> > and
> > usually wrong.
>
> Are you calling me egotistical?  That is not the attitude I was trying to
> convey.  Maybe a SATLUG meeting on coding standards??  Ultimately they are
> decided by the team, but global standards can be discussed.

I think the point is that uncommented code may work for the original
coder, but not necessarily for everyone else.

Let's keep the "taking it personal" out of it, and focus on the different
experiences and opinions. I get something out of each person's contribution,
but my own preference is to have code comments available.

-b.