[SATLUG] Help w/GParted Live

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 20:49:30 CDT 2008

I need to use a GParted live CD to recover a system at my office.  I
burned the ISO image and, since I've never used it before, tried to test
it out on one of my older home PCs.  When it tries to start the GUI, the
screen is all scrambled, and I can't make out anything.

I can get to the console ok, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

I guess what I need to know is:

1. What is the GUI it's trying to run (X, Gnome, etc.)?
2. Can I do something from the console to change the screen settings?
3. If #2 is no, not without killing the GUI, then what commands would I
need to tell it?  And what should I do at that point to restart the GUI
with the right screen settings (so I can get it to run ok)?

TIA.

Al Lesmerises