[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 23:30:42 CDT 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008 21:27:04 pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 20:56 -0500, Andrew Pickens wrote:
> > I need a little more guidance before I put myself out of business.  I
> > did the following:
> >
> > andy at Izzy:~$ sudo cvt 1024 768 60
> > [sudo] password for andy:
> > # 1024x768 59.92 Hz (CVT 0.79M3) hsync: 47.82 kHz; pclk: 63.50 MHz
> > Modeline "1024x768_60.00"   63.50  1024 1072 1176 1328  768 771 775 798
> > -hsync +vsync
>
> Try posting your xorg.conf file. Try sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf  to
> get there. I don't know what cvt is.
>
> On the ubuntu forums try searching for ways to recreate your xorg file.
> I believe you use the alternate install disc to start an install, and
> once you have told it the resolutions you want to use and that section
> is complete you can quit the installer and restart your machine with a
> fresh xorg.conf file. I am sorry I don't have better info. It's been
> awhile since I have had to wrestle with this, but rest assured, the
> answers you are looking for really are on the ubuntu forums or in the
> ubuntu wiki.
>

> ~Nate

Somebody help me out here... I am a Mandriva user so I'm not sure this will
help. Is there an equivalent way to do this in Ubuntu?? I have no idea....

I am going to post this anyway.

If you use your X configuration utility, assuming you are using a flat panel
monitor, change it to a model named something like 'Generic Flat Panel
1024x768' or whatever resolution is appropriate for the monitor you have. Use
Generic instead of a Vendor listed model. After that, choose the max
resolution you want to run the desktop in as well as 24bit color.
Logout and restart X (CTRL-BACKSPACE).
It should be fixed after that, without having to manually edit your xorg.conf
file.
Sometimes the Vendor models listed don't give the full range of resolutions,
that's why the choice of a Generic model will likely work better.

For changing the monitor without X running, I do this (using Mandriva, mind
you). Maybe Ubuntu has a similar configuration utility. Please enlighten me
if it does.

1. Logout from gnome or kde.
2. When at the login prompt type 'CTRL-ALT-F3' ... this will take you to
terminal 3 and you will be prompted to login.
3. Login as root.
4. Type "pidof gdm-binary" (without quotes, or "pidof kdm" if using
KDE)   ....this will give the process id number of the desktop manager
running in X.
Let's pretend that number is 5000 for this example...
5. Type "kill 5000" (whatever pid number you need)... if the pidof command
returned two numbers, kill the smaller number.
This will stop Xwindows and the desktop manager.
5a. You might be taken to terminal 1 (if you are prompted with login again,
ignore it)... type 'CTRL-ALT-F3' again to return to terminal 3 where root is
already logged in.
6. Run 'XFdrake' (Mandriva-only... maybe a similar one for Ubuntu??)
7. Select the monitor listed and change it to one listed as 'Generic Flat
Panel 1024x768' (or whatever resolution your max will be).
8. Choose the option for resolution and set it to the max resolution the
monitor supports and 24bit color.
9. Choose the option to test the configuration.
10. If the test works and displays the test screen properly, save and exit. If
not, reselect the choice of monitor etc. and try again.
11. Run either 'gdm-binary' or 'kdm' to restart X and the desktop manager...
you will be back to your login prompt.
12. Hit 'CTRL-ALT-F3' again to return to terminal 3 where root is logged in
and type 'exit' to logout root.
13. Hit 'CTRL-ALT-F7' to return to X and your desktop manager login prompt.

You should now have a full variety of display resolutions available to you.
This has always worked well for me.

John C.