[SATLUG] Help w/GParted Live

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 23:42:00 CDT 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008 20:49:30 Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> I need to use a GParted live CD to recover a system at my office.  I
> burned the ISO image and, since I've never used it before, tried to test
> it out on one of my older home PCs.  When it tries to start the GUI, the
> screen is all scrambled, and I can't make out anything.
>
> I can get to the console ok, but I'm not sure where to go from there.
>
> I guess what I need to know is:
>
> 1. What is the GUI it's trying to run (X, Gnome, etc.)?
> 2. Can I do something from the console to change the screen settings?
> 3. If #2 is no, not without killing the GUI, then what commands would I
> need to tell it?  And what should I do at that point to restart the GUI
> with the right screen settings (so I can get it to run ok)?
>
> TIA.
>
> Al Lesmerises

This doesn't work for me anymore with recent versions of Mandriva and KDE, but
it has been used in X throughout the years...

You may be able to change screen resolutions by typing CTRL+ALT++  ... that
is, control-alt-plus (the + key in the numeric keypad) to increase the screen
resolution or cycle to the next available resolution (which may be the lowest
resolution). Also CTRL+ALT+- (the - key) will cycle down to the next lowest
resolution.

As far as setting it to boot to a working resolution, you would have to set
such an option at boot time. There should be an option for custom settings at
the beginning of the boot from CD... then you can edit the string of options.
What to type there, I'm not sure... somebody else will have to provide that
info.

John C.