[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Aug 29 05:53:13 CDT 2008

> I pasted the above output in /etc/X11/xorg.conf "monitor" section.
> Restart. No effect.
> Moved to it end of "Screen" section.  Restarted.  Low graphics.  More
> choices, none above 800x600.  Most with 0 refresh.  Also, there was a
> message: "Your screen and graphics card could not be detected correctly."

Andy,

do you know for sure that you are using the correct video card driver in
your xorg file?

sudo lspci

should show you a list of hardware and identify the video card.

mine shows:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400

Then I would go to the website of the manufacturer and see if they
make a Linux driver for the card and install it. Some, like nvidia
come with nice linux GUI configuration programs that you can use to
set your resolution.

In my experience there are several drivers that will give you X, but sometimes
only the right driver will give you the highest resolution the card is capable
of (and the highest color depth). Most modern cards have the ability to do
1600x1200 at 24 bit. Tell us the lspci line and the driver you are using,
you can find it in

Section "Device"
	Driver "mydriver"

in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Let us know what you got and we can check to see if this is a good match.

-borries