[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Aug 29 17:02:40 CDT 2008

Andy,

it looks like your xorg file is not configured at all. according to the
instructions in the manual you should be able to use the generic VESA
driver from xorg with this card.

I googled for an example xorg file that uses vesa driver, and you can
find an example at:

http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~mgeorg/linuxOnLaptop/xorg.conf.html

Replace your xorg.conf file with this one, but make some changes:

Under "Device" section, uncomment:

   #Identifier  "VESA Framebuffer"
    #Driver      "vesa"

and comment out:
     Identifier   "GeForce FX"
    Driver       "nvidia"

You "Device" section should look like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "VESA Framebuffer"
    Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

Then it should work. I assume the vesa driver is already installed.
Then you need to pick the right "vga=nnn" number in your lilo or grub
config file and rerun lilo or grub, reboot, and it should work

See section 3. of the PDF file you sent us the link for, it lists
the correct "nnn" numbers to use for certain resolutions. I'd try
795 or 792 first to see if they work.

Also adjust "HorizSync   31.5 - 50.0" and "VertRefresh 40-90"
to match your monitor.

Let us know if this works.

-b.