[SATLUG] TrendNet serial modem (Mom's dial up modem)

scs at worldlinkisp.com scs at worldlinkisp.com
Sat Aug 30 08:36:36 CDT 2008

>I still have my ethernet connected and not the serial modem.
>Next I plane to disconnect my ethernet, connect the modem up to the pc and
>check those things to see if I need to input anything else....and see if
>Hardy recognizes the modem.

>Is there anything else you can think of I need to do to be certain it will
>work at Mom's?

   See below, dialing your Mom's access number, make sure you have
   her User ID and Password to complete the connection.

>I'll google to see if there is a list of compatible dial up modems for Hardy
>anyplace...but since this one was compatible in Gutsy..even tho it took me
>a week to get it going...I figured it must be supported.

    Since the TFM-560X is a serial hardware modem it should work fine,
   as would any serial RS232 hardware moden.

    Incidentally, there's a user reviews of the TFM-560X  on Newegg.com,
    they say it works fine with Hardy 8.04

>Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I> can't really test it here on dial up because Mom's numbers are all
>different than mine and I want to make sure it will work at her house.

  Two options: (1)   Toll call, 1-512-xxx-xxxx  (your Mom' access number)

   (2) Try these local (210) numbers 320-0073, 757-4330, 893-9477 to
  check operation, they won't connect (no user id / password) but tells
  you the modemis working correctly.

>Are there any AT modem commands you can recommend that might make it
>connect quicker to websites maybe?

 Connection speed is controlled by line conditions and ISP dial-up HW/SW.

HTH

Lou