[SATLUG] Setting video sync frequencies as a boot-up option

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sun Aug 31 11:05:08 CDT 2008

This is part 2 of a previous thread ...

To recap, I'm using a GParted Live CD (v 0.3.7.7) on an older P4 system,
and it gets all the way into the GUI, but the screen goes haywire in
graphics mode (everything is illegible).  Since the GUI doesn't 'fail to
start', I don't get an opportunity to use the 'forcevideo' command.

As previously suggested, I tried using the Ctrl-Alt-+ & Ctrl-Alt-- key
combinations to change screen resolutions, but it has no effect at all.

Looking carefully at what I can see in the GUI (screwed-up though it may
be), it DOES seem to be a horizontal sync frequency issue, since the
tops of the icons at the top of the screen are barely visible, but then
each successive line drawn on the screen appears to be 'shifted' to the
right (by quite a bit).

What I was hoping is that there is a way to set the horizontal sync
frequency parameters as a  command-line option (that appears to be the
only way I can specify a change) during boot-up.  I've looked for
answers on-line, but I'm just not finding anything pertinent.

If it makes a difference, the live CD OS appears to be Debian-based.

TIA.

Al Lesmerises