[SATLUG] stay away from verizon wireless unless you have a win pc

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 14:10:38 CDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 6:00 PM, John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:

> To be clear, only the initial activation requires Windows.  After the
> initial activation, nearly any EVDO/HSPDA card will work in Linux.  There
> are some resellers that sell pre-activated cards, and some corporate stores
> can assist with the initial activation to avoid the need for Windows.
>
> Unfortunately,  >90% of the customers are Windows, and as a result, even
> Mac
> users are hit or miss.

Actually the Mac activation is even easier than Windows.  I have the
ExpressCard34 from Verizon and the activation consisted of 1) insert card 2)
wait 60 seconds 3) connect.  Didn't even need to install the VZAccess
software.

On PDA phones, Verizon will want to charge you more per month for the
"tethering" package that will unlock the tethering ability in the phone (at
least they did 6 months ago).  However, there is a nifty piece of non-free
software called PDANet that proxies the connection through USB/Bluetooth so
the phone doesn't think it is actually being tethered.  Yeah, you need
Windows do do the initial install, but once it is on your PDA you can access
the BT DUN adapter from any OS.

They don't want to make it easy for you because they want to limit access to
their data network so it doesn't get oversubscribed.  The $15 V-Cast
package, $45 PDA Data package, and $60 EVDO/Tether Data package all offer
"unlimited" data, but they restrict how you can use it.  The V-Cast package
can only be put on non-PDA phones, which do not allow tethering.  I can
dialup through my phone, but I only get 1x speeds (115kbps) because my
account isn't authorized to authenticate on the high speed network.  The PDA
data plans are the same as the EVDO plans, except they disable tethering so
you can't hook it up to a computer (easily).

-Henry

> I am sorry that you had a bad experience, but the small inconvenience for
> initial activation on Windows is worth it to have Internet nearly
> everywhere.
>
> jp
>
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 08:04, Cheryl Holmes <cherylholmes72 at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Thank you Firestorm, but we're never going to attempt this high speed
> thing
> > again on her PC because of the horrible experience I had trying to get
> this
> > one to work...
> >
> > Actually, Hardy *DETECTED* the modem perfectly
> >  on the* exact* same port as you mentioned so I didn't have to *unmount*
> > and
> > *remount* it.
> >
> > The install was really very very easy.  I made way too much work of it,
> > like
> > I always do with anything new!  But you absolutely have to initialize
> them
> > on Win PC's...that's the 1 thing that gets us no matter who we go with.
>  We
> > just don't have access to *AN*Y win PC.
> >

> > The only problem is they all have to be* initialed on a Windows PC...not
> > activated,initialized* in order to connect to the net.  We don't have
> > access
> > to any Windows PC and ISP's don't support Linux.
> >
> > I have to say tho, I was very impressed with how easy the actual install
> > was.  And, the install CD from Verizon ran just fine too...maybe because
> > have WINE installed.
> >
> > Too bad...ISP's refuse to support Linux.
> >
> > Thank you again! cheryl
> > --

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay