[SATLUG] stay away from verizon wireless unless you have a win pc

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Aug 31 16:03:22 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 14:10, Henry Pugsley <henry.pugsley at gmail.com>wrote:

> Actually the Mac activation is even easier than Windows.  I have the
> ExpressCard34 from Verizon and the activation consisted of 1) insert card
> 2)
> wait 60 seconds 3) connect.  Didn't even need to install the VZAccess
> software.

That infers pre-activation.  Out of the box, the card needs to associate
it's ESID to the phone number and MSID.  Without the association being
performed, the system will not allow traffic from the device.  I have not
worked with Verizon, so I have not been through the process, but indications
are that the same sands true.

On PDA phones, Verizon will want to charge you more per month for the
> "tethering" package that will unlock the tethering ability in the phone (at
> least they did 6 months ago).  However, there is a nifty piece of non-free
> software called PDANet that proxies the connection through USB/Bluetooth so
> the phone doesn't think it is actually being tethered.

I like USB-Modem from Mobile Stream. It is $10 cheaper and fully supported
on Mac/Lin/Win.

>  Yeah, you need Windows do do the initial install, but once it is on your
> PDA you can access
> the BT DUN adapter from any OS.

I installed usb-modem via pilot-sync on Linux (Standard palm app, no OS
requirement) and then IR to other phones.  BT and USB both work flawlessly.
Windows is actually the only OS that requres an additional driver to use it
:)   I actually had BT DUN working out of the box, but I wanted USB
capability without an OS specific program to function.

Ultimately, any tool that works is the right tool, but I wanted to support a
developer that explicity supports Lin/Mac, and Mobile Stream does (June
Fabrics explicity does not).

jp