[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 31 17:52:13 CDT 2008

Here is what happened:

080831 notes
Attempted to carry out Borries' suggestions of 8/29:

I opened /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Emacs. I pasted in the entire contents of
the example file found at

http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~mgeorg/linuxOnLaptop/xorg.conf.html

I then deleted the entire contents of the original xorg.conf. I made the
specified changes to the graphics device section, but I didn't adjust
"HorizSync" and "VertRefresh" because I have no idea what to put in for
my monitor, and old Dell CRT job. Then I saved the thing, exited Emacs,
and ran cat xorg.conf, which looked OK.

I changed /boot/grub/menu.lst as follows"

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
root=UUID=47468e9a-fedb-46b7-9985-eb1c1cc30df4 ro quiet splash vga=792
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
quiet

I rebooted and had no mouse.

Ctrl-Delete,Ctrl-Delete got me the exit options but the keyboard
commands didn't work. Reset and used the recovery mode to get back in
business (I used the "fix X" and "fix broken files" options.