[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 20:22:19 CDT 2008

Andrew Pickens wrote:
> Well, I don't know. It looked about the same, and w/o a mouse, I
> couldn't get to the Screen Resolution function. When I recovered, I had
> the same old xorg.conf.
>
> Maybe I can get it all back and then use the X Configuration Utility to
> get the mouse right. I've been wanting to comment on that. I learned to
> open it with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg," but it doesn't doesn't
> give me a chance to do any thing with resolution. (John Choate suggested
> trying it, but I got all wrapped up in the various approaches and never
> responded.) I did try both choices offered when you choose between
> kernel"framebuffer" and device "interface." No difference.

One way to get X to configure itself is to run as root:

Xorg -configure

Then test with

X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

You won't get a window manager, so you will get a gray screen with an X that
responds to the mouse.  If that works, you can exit with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Then examine /root/xorg.conf.new to incorporate that into your full
configuration.  You can also look at  /var/log/Xorg.0.log to look for error
messages.

   -- Bruce