[SATLUG] Wireless Router w/Multicast

Kase Saylor h_oudini at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:50:44 CST 2008

Does anyone on the list have a suggestion for a wireless router that actually handles multicast traffic well? I'm currently bridging together two Linksys WRT54G routers using the DD-WRT firmware. Unfortuantely the Linksys routers don't handle multicast traffic very well. The max throughput  I can get with the routers (with multicast traffic) is about 3.5Mbps. I did set the beacon interval to 10, which certainly improved the performance, but I really need rates that match unicast traffic. Also, I don't need a link faster than 802.11b. I just need a router that is built to handle multicast traffic in a way that is "smarter" than the Linksys. It looks like there are some wireless router that ae supposed to support wireless HD video, so perhaps one of them might meet my needs. I just wanted to know if anyone had any personal experience with this. Thanks!

-Kase