[SATLUG] OT: Looking for someone to ID a cisco cable

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Dec 7 20:02:40 CST 2008

on 12/6/08 6:31 PM, FIRESTORM_v1 said:

> I went to both Fry's and the local Goodwill computerworks and ended up
> getting nothing but a blank stare.  At Fry's which was previously a
> haven for the geekly minded,  a small bit of me died on the inside
> when their most senior manager (in his late 40's) looked at me as if I
> had just insulted his mother and asked if an AUI to Ethernet adapter
> was some kind of wireless device.  He was trying to sell me a print
> server.

You know, I think I've got a couple of AUI Ethernet adapters.  IIRC,
they look pretty much exactly like the one shown at
<http://www.nextag.com/Allied-Telesyn-ALLIED-TELESIS-35096/prices-html>.

Unfortunately, these days you can't depend on a place like Fry's.  You
have to know exactly what you're looking for and exactly where it is.
If you depend on them for anything, you're screwed.

There are specialty shops in some places that would know what they're
talking about, but then you need to know where they are and what they're
good at.  And if you knew that, you wouldn't be going to Fry's in the
first place.