[SATLUG] Digital Cameras

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Dec 10 23:49:54 CST 2008

on 12/10/08 11:26 PM, Alan Lesmerises said:
> Does anyone know of a resource (web site, article, etc.) that might have
> an up-to-date list of digital cameras that are known to work well (or
> poorly) with Linux?  And if any of you have personal experiences you'd
> wish to relay, I'd like to hear those as well.

What do you mean "works well with Linux"?  All the digital cameras I've
used have recorded their images on a removable card, which I can just
plug into whatever computer I want, and then it's up to me to find the
software I want to use to process those files.

> I want to get my wife a digital camera for Christmas, but I know she
> will get frustrated with it if it isn't easy to use right out of the box.

When looking at digital cameras, I usually spend most of my time on
dpreview.com and stevesdigicams.com.

I will say that Canon and Nikon traditionally have the best cameras,
pretty much all the way up and down the line.  Some models are better
than others, but they are the Top Tier companies in this field.  The
dpreview.com website has a really good set of tools to help you select
the right camera for you, between their buyers guides (including the
ability to search for specific features), their side-by-side
comparisons, and so on.

Right now, I think one of the best point-and-shoots you can get is the
Canon PowerShot SD990IS -- it's the first point-and-shoot to include a
Digic IV processor, and with the Canon Hack Developers Kit (see
<http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK>), you can enable most of the features
which would otherwise only be available to DSLR owners.  Of course CHDK
has not yet been ported to the Digic IV, but I'm sure that will be fixed
soon.