[SATLUG] Digital Cameras

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Dec 11 07:56:50 CST 2008

> on 12/10/08 11:26 PM, Alan Lesmerises said:
> > Does anyone know of a resource (web site, article, etc.) that might have
> > an up-to-date list of digital cameras that are known to work well (or
> > poorly) with Linux?  And if any of you have personal experiences you'd
> > wish to relay, I'd like to hear those as well.
>
> What do you mean "works well with Linux"?  All the digital cameras I've
> used have recorded their images on a removable card, which I can just
> plug into whatever computer I want, and then it's up to me to find the
> software I want to use to process those files.
>
> > I want to get my wife a digital camera for Christmas, but I know she
> > will get frustrated with it if it isn't easy to use right out of the box.
>
> When looking at digital cameras, I usually spend most of my time on
> dpreview.com and stevesdigicams.com.
>
> I will say that Canon and Nikon traditionally have the best cameras,
> pretty much all the way up and down the line.  Some models are better
> than others, but they are the Top Tier companies in this field.  The
> dpreview.com website has a really good set of tools to help you select
> the right camera for you, between their buyers guides (including the
> ability to search for specific features), their side-by-side
> comparisons, and so on.
>
> Right now, I think one of the best point-and-shoots you can get is the
> Canon PowerShot SD990IS -- it's the first point-and-shoot to include a
> Digic IV processor, and with the Canon Hack Developers Kit (see
> <http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK>), you can enable most of the features
> which would otherwise only be available to DSLR owners.  Of course CHDK
> has not yet been ported to the Digic IV, but I'm sure that will be fixed
> soon.

Ditto on all of this. I have been using dpreview.com forever, it is
truly an outstanding site with the best reviews, period. Definitely
consult this before buying. I am a longtime Canon fan, and have bought
quite a few Canon cameras in the past, and ALL of the ones I bought
(both video and still) have been 100% workable under Linux.

I want to add to Brad's comments that I am using a package called
digikam (http://www.digikam.org/) which uses the USB connections on
my cameras to talk to them over a USB cable using the gphoto 2 plugin
(http://www.gphoto.org/), however, I find it is usually faster to take
the chip out and put it into a chip reader with USB 2.0. You still may
want to check the gphoto2 website to see if the camera you plan to buy
is supported.

There are over 1000 cameras listed at: http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php
However, if your camera has a removable memory card it can be read
regardless using a chip reader, but the digikam/gphoto2 combo may be
the most intuitive setup for the wife.

Good luck, -b.