[SATLUG] Day of Reckoning

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Dec 11 08:01:41 CST 2008

> Andrew Pickens wrote:
> > Tax time is coming.  I have been using Ubuntu, and my Windows XP is
> > broken.  How do Linux users do their income tax?  Do I have to fix
> > Windows so I can run a tax program?
>
> Do you really need a tax program?  Are you filing a 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040.  How
> many schedules.  I admit that my filings are not that complicated, but I can sit
> down with the instructions and have things done in a couple of hours.
>
>    -- Bruce

For those of us with more complicated taxes, I have been using Intuit's
turbotax under VMWare using my old win2k package. I like being able to
import from my Quickenbooks accounting package and have it autofill the
relevant fields in the Turbotax program. I also don't like to go out and
store my tax info on the web on someone else's server. I have been using
this solution since the times of WABI using win 3.1 (anyone remember this?).
When VMWare became available, I switched.

-b.