[SATLUG] Day of Reckoning

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Dec 11 10:03:35 CST 2008

> WMWare. OK, I'll have to learn about that, too.

Andrew,

VMWare is a package that allows you to run Windows underneath Linux.
There are two ways to do it:

get the free vmware player and run an image of a Windows installation
(can be any OS, all of win95, win2k, NT, XP, etc. work under VMWare).
You need to have an image made by someone else. Once you got that,
you can modify the image and add software of your liking.

The other option is to buy a copy of VMware and make the image yourself.

At any rate, this gives you a full-featured Windows version to run
underneath of Linux, within a window. And you can install any windows
software inside this image and use it as if you were running it natively.

I also like VMWare since the image can be simply copied for backup
somewhere else.

Regards, -Borries