[SATLUG] Digital Cameras

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Dec 11 11:13:30 CST 2008

MKR wrote:

> Battery is an issue. All the three Canon cameras I own, use regular AA
> batteries which are not expensive and easily available anywhere. The thinner
> and smaller cameras use lithium batteries and replacement can be tough and
> expensive.

That's one of the reasons why I stopped using my old Canon SD550, and bought
a Pentax Optio -- I had forgotten to bring my charger with me, so the old
camera was dead, and I needed to have something to use.  The only one I
could quickly find at the time was the Pentax, so I bought it.

However, more recent Canon PowerShot SD-series cameras have gotten much
better with battery life, and I've been starting to think about switching
back again.

> Also when buying the SDHC cards, I would go with the fastest (class 6) which
> can be purchased on-line at competitive prices.

Fast SDHC cards are absolutely the way to go.  I would never even think
about anything else.

In fact, I didn't think about anything else, which is why I didn't even
think to bring up this issue.

>                                                  Buy it early so that by
> Christmas, you will be familiar with all the controls to take some good
> shots.

Agreed.  Just remember that a good photographer with a crappy camera can
take much better pictures than a crappy photographer with a good camera.
And practice is the single biggest contributor to being a good photographer.

You really need to know what your camera can and can't do, and the best way
to learn that is to just try to do stuff and see what works and what
doesn't.  Then try to understand why it does or doesn't work, and what can
be done to compensate.